Thursday, June 18, 2015

Oft expectation fails and most oft there, where most it promises

Or in plain English, expectation is the root of all suffering. This is certainly one of the biggest lessons I have learned from the University of Life.
"Oft expectation fails, and most oft there
Where most it promises; and oft it hits
Where hope is coldest, and despair most fits"
~ All's Well That Ends Well (Shakespeare) 
Helena and the widow in Tyrone
All's Well That Ends Well (Shakespeare)

The greatest expectation

Right at the top of my list of expectations is thinking that the person I love won't disappoint me.

Who relates to this? Hands up! Don't be shy!

I don't think I've met a single human who hasn't expected too much from the person/s they love the most. Expecting them to be faithful, expecting them to protect, expecting them to love back or expecting them to be around forever. But what I've learned is that people will either deliberately or unintentionally let you down at some point in your life. However where as once I would blame them for my disappointment, I am learning that it is my expectation that actually ends up causing my suffering.

Wow that was deep!

Let's lighten things up a bit, here are five other things that I've discovered can disappoint if you expect too much.
  1. Expecting a liars pants to catch on fire.
  2. Believing carrots will improve your eye-site.
  3. Thinking you will know everything when you grow up.
  4. Expecting an hour of cardio to burn off that chocolate mud cake.
  5. Discovering that money does not grow on trees.
Moral to this post; no expectations, no disappointments! 

Now time to get my beauty sleep.....

No comments :

Post a Comment